Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment? Are you detail oriented? The Business Studies program at Platt College can help you develop the foundation to become an essential member of an office team. Some skills learned could include:
- Planning, coordinating, and directing a broad range of services that allow your organization to operate efficiently
- Setting goals and deadlines for your department as they align with business expectations
- Compiling information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement
Training In Business Studies
In the Business Studies program, students are provided an opportunity to establish an introductory-level foundation in administration, customer service, accounting, sales and marketing, project management, and entrepreneurship. Some of the classes that you can expect to take are:
- Practical Computer Applications
- Accounting I
- Management Success
- Introduction to Human Resources
During your classroom lessons you can learn the basics of administration, customer service, accounting, and more. Additional components you may learn include how to:
- Use technology in business operations
- Create common business documents
- Analyze and interpret various reports
The Career Services team can assist you in marketing yourself for the right career opportunity.
What Does A Business Studies Graduate Do?
Students can expect their job duties to vary depending on the industry that they enter.
- Typing or word processing
- Maintain and update filing, inventory, mailing, and database systems
- Schedule appointments and receive customers or visitors
- Obtain information, send correspondence, or perform data entry
- Communicate with customers, employees, and other individuals to answer questions
- Provide general information to staff, clients, or the public
- Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
- Take purchase requests from various departments within a company
- Get price quotes from suppliers
- Maintain and review purchasing files and price lists
- Bookkeeping and compiling business transactions
Business Studies Professional Requirements
While no formal education is required, a high school diploma or equivalent is needed to enroll in this program. Most successful business professionals combine education and real-world experience to obtain a position in their preferred industry. As a student you must complete 630 clock hours as outlined in the curriculum.
Is Business Studies a Good Choice for Me?
How do you know if training in Business Studies is the right fit for you? Here are some things to consider:
- You are good at data entry
- You enjoy solving problems
- You are organized
- You work well in a business setting
If this type of work environment or career that sounds appealing to you, Business Studies could be a great choice for you.
How Much Can You Earn?
The median hourly wage for general office clerks was $15.74 in May 2018. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $9.84, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $25.73. These wages can vary based on your position, your schedule and your individual duties in the office.
The Platt College Business Studies program prepares you for an entry-level business position. Additionally, you might be eligible for a variety of benefits, such as vacation or sick time, flexible working hours, insurance, and a stable work/life balance. Each position is different so it is a good idea to weigh all your options when presented with a position so that you accept an offer in a setting you will be successful in.**
Business Studies Career Outlook
Employment of general office clerks is projected to show little or no change from 2016 to 2026. However, employment growth may vary by industry.***
Where Can Business Studies Graduates Work?
With your diploma from Platt College, the opportunities for employment are vast. You can search for employment in:
- Local Government
Oklahoma Business Studies Program Locations at Platt College
Are you ready to enroll in our Business Studies program? You can find classes at:
Get Started Today!
Turn your passion for business into a career with our Business Studies program. Our small classes and industry-experienced instructors, allow you to gain the skills to be successful. To get started, call 877-392-6616 or request information to speak with an Admissions Representative, who can answer your questions about our Business Studies program.
Programs vary by location.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent required.
See the school catalog for specific programmatic admissions requirements.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, General Office Clerks, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-administrative-support/general-office-clerks.htm (visited May 10, 2019).